SCHOOL AS AN ECOSYSTEM
REFLECTION
In order to complete this model we first compared our school to a forest biome. The environmental conditions and all the organisms looked the same as a forest biome. Our model is 2D representation of what our school looks like. It includes all the cycles. We have divided our model as Producers and Consumers in which producers are the plants in the garden and around the school, the Cafetaria ( staff), and the students who bring their own food. The consumers are the students, birds, insects, microorganisms and the school in its entirety is a consumer it self as it needs funds to function and that is obtained from the parents.
While making the model our greatest strength was covering every part according to our plan. We have covered every biochemical cycles such as Water cycle, Carbon Cycle, Nitrogen cycle and Phosphorus cycle and we have almost covered everything that we learned in the unit such as population dynamics etc.
Some of the weakness that we faced while working on the project. First, we didn’t manage to take time out during Eid Break to complete our project. Everyone in our group was busy with one or other assignment to complete so time management was the biggest issue we faced while completing but gradually we gained pace and started working hard on the project. Still atlast we weren’t able to finish until Friday which was the deadline. When we asked for extension then we had until Saturday to complete it and finally we made a 2D model which was the poster. Another difficulty which we faced was how to design our experiment. A lot of time was wasted deciding whether we should make a 3D or 2D model. When having lack of time we decided not to make 3D model because it would then have taken a lot of time and weren’t also sure if if we could make a good model in the given time or not. At last we figured out a way and made a 2D model .
The challenges which I faced while working on my part were not easy. When I was making Nitrogen Cycle, then I was required to cover all the green areas of the school because Nitrogen cycle takes place in all the green areas which includes plants and grass. When I started making the school campus, I suddenly thought that how am I going to make Nitrogen cycle in all the green areas of school like the quads, fields and etc. I then erased everything and started with the new plan. I took one green area of the school and made the whole process of nitrogen cycle as an example. This way it was much easier for me to draw and write all the steps. I think, this was challenging for me a bit. Also, while writing steps of Nitrogen Cycle I wrote a lot instead of small steps so my diagram became somewhat messy and untidy. I thought there would be enough space to explain the steps but it looked very untidy when I looked after completing it. So in order to look tidy and nice I then made the whole diagram again and this time I knew to write small steps so that it looked good and tidy.
My partners were Rameen and Omer.
I appreciate the information and reflection. Please make sure you read and understand the instructions and rubric. The instructions specifically state that you should evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your model. Everyone is under time constraints, so when I ask about problems you encountered in creating your model, I’m most interested in the design issues and problems with using the model to represent the science.
ReplyDeleteToward the end you’ve shown a good understanding, here, of how models can’t always show everything, but can still be good models if they show enough.
Good model overall. No requirement of any particular type of model leaves it open-ended. The images are a bit small and difficult to see. Did you create the images or did you use images from the internet? If the latter, make sure you cite your sources. As a whole it is difficult to discern that there are any interactions between the different species, cycles and populations. One way to do this would be to use hyperlinks, which lead to other resources/information, other documents or different sections of the document.
Creativity/accuracy = 3/5
Vocab use = 5/5
Reflection = 4/5
Total = 12/15